To follow are The most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about things to do in the City of Waterville.
- Is there a listing of arts and entertainment happenings going on in Waterville? Yes, Waterville Creates has a great list of arts and entertainment events happening in the city. Our web site also maintains a more general calendar of events.
- What types of outdoor recreation and activities does Waterville offer? The City offers a lot of recreational trails, playgrounds, boat landings, fields, etc. The Quarry Road Recreation Area is a 4-season recreation facility for walking, climbing, canoeing, biking, snowshoeing, skiing, snow tubing, etc. We also have downtown walking trails and historic (self-guided) walking tours. In addition, there are seasonal festivals and events as well as an ice skating rink at the Alfond Youth Center and Boys and Girls Club.
- What are the youth and teen activities in Waterville? We have a teen center in the City’s south end, which is very close to where a skate park is located. The Waterville Public Library offers daily youth and teen activities and even has a separate “teen room.” The Alfond Youth Center and Boys and Girls Club provides a wide variety of children’s events, services and activities. The Parks and Recreation facilities, including the Quarry Road Recreation Area and Alfond Municipal Pool, provide lots of outdoor activity opportunities. We also have movie theaters, arts, and shopping/dining opportunities. Inland Hospital’s 5-2-1-0 Let’s Go program provides free family events and activities monthly. There are also several playgrounds in Waterville for younger children. In addition to other children’s programming and activities, each year, Waterville Parks and Recreation also provides a free Easter egg hunt at the Head of Falls.
- Does Waterville have a local movie theatre? Yes, for blockbuster hits, we have Flagship Cinemas. For independent films, we have the Railroad Square Cinema. The Waterville Opera House also has HD movie events in addition to plays, comedy shows and concerts. Waterville is also home to the Maine International Film Festival which runs for 10 days every July.
- Does Waterville have an ice skating rink? There is a seasonal outdoor ice skating rink at the Alfond Youth Center and Boys and Girls Club. There is also an indoor rink (Sukee Ice Arena) located just over the river in Winslow, Maine.
- Does Waterville have an annual fair with carnival rides? While the carnival had not been in Waterville in some years, it made a comeback in 2015. We expect that to continue. We also have art fairs, the Maine International Film Festival, The Taste of Waterville, a family Harvest Festival, a Winter Carnival, etc.
- Does Waterville have a golf course? Yes, we have the Pine Ridge Golf Course and the Waterville Country Club, which is actually located just over the Waterville line in Oakland, Maine.
- Does Waterville have a public pool? Yes, the Alfond Municipal Pool is an extremely popular outdoor water park located on North Street in Waterville. The pool complex features a 6-lane, 25 meter pool; family swim area; zero-entry area with “Raindrop”; 18″ deep kiddie pool with frog slide; 12″ deep kiddie pool with “Little Squirts”; spray pool with 16 water jets; slide pool featuring Twister and Tube Slide (Users must be 48″ or taller and be able to swim to use slides); and a Snack Bar.
- Where is the nearest place to watch a sports team play? There are several sports bars/restaurants right here in Waterville including, but not limited to, The End Zone, Silver Street Tavern, O’Brien’s Irish Pub and Restaurant, and You Know Whose Pub.
- Where is the nearest place to attend a concert? Concerts are frequently held at Colby College, here in Waterville. The Waterville Opera House also often has concerts and comedy shows. Some seasonal concerts are also held outdoors at the Head of Falls and in Castonguay Square, next to City Hall.
- How many parks does Waterville have? Waterville offers numerous parks and also trails, ball fields, boat landings, etc. FMI: http://www.waterville-me.gov/parks/facilities/
- Where is the nearest skateboard park? Waterville has its own skateboard park right here in Waterville’s South End on Green Street.
- Does Waterville have a local car show? Yes, there are usually a few car shows in Waterville annually. These are typically coordinated by non-profit groups as fundraisers. The ones we are made aware of, we include in the event calendar on our web site.
- Does Waterville have car or motorcycle racing and, if not, where would the nearest track be? No. The nearest track is the Unity Raceway about 25-30 minutes away.
- Does Waterville have horse races? No. However, off track betting on thoroughbred and harness racing is available at Favorites OTB located at T&B’s Outback Tavern and Celebration Center at 6 Jefferson Street.
- Does Waterville have a drive-in theatre and if not where would the nearest one be? No. The nearest is the Skowhegan Drive-in, located about 35-40 minutes north.
- Does Waterville have a bowling alley? No. There is a bowling alley about 20-25 minutes away in Augusta and also one in Skowhegan, about 35-40 minutes away.
- Where is the nearest Zoo? The largest “zoo” in Maine is York’s Wild Kingdom in York, which is about 2 hours and 15 minutes from Waterville. It is New England’s only zoo and amusement park. On a smaller scale, there is also DEW Animal Haven in Mount Vernon about 50 minutes from Waterville and Inland Fisheries & Wildlife’s Maine Wildlife Park in Gray which is about 1 hour and 20 mins away.
Click here to go back to the listing of FAQs categories.