A bad check is a check that is written on a closed account, or has insufficient funds to cover the amount of the check. Before an officer can begin working on a bad check case, there are certain things that the complainant must do. All bad check cases need to have a bad check packet completed. These packets can be picked up at the police department or you may download the packet HERE. The bad check packet outlines all instructions regarding what needs to be included. Once the packet has been completed, it can be returned to the police department for follow up. In order for the Police Department to handle such a case, the check must have been passed in Waterville, regardless of where the recipient or the person who wrote the check resides. If the check was passed in another town, that town’s agency will have jurisdiction of the matter.