Reportable Accidents – "If I am in an accident, do I need to notify the police department?"

The operator of a motor vehicle is required to notify the police department of the town/city in which a collision occurs if it results in injury, death, or apparent combined damage of $1,000 or more on a public way (includes damage to all vehicles and property). If you're in doubt about the dollar amount of damage, you should contact the police department.